Wednesday, July 20, 2016

"Love & Friendship" review

Admittedly, I got giddy after my friend suggested we see Love & Friendship. The film had received positive buzz from critics and audiences alike, I loved the cast, and I'm a big fan of the Beach Boys (I'm sure some of you know where this is going). It wasn't until the concessioner handed me my ticket that I realized we were not seeing Love & Mercy, the acclaimed Beach Boys biopic; instead, we were seeing an adaption of a Jane Austen novel starring Kate Beckinsale.

To the disdain of many in my inner circle of friends, I, for whatever reason, am not fan of period dramas. It is not that I don't appreciate them and there are a few I enjoy. I'm just not generally moved by them in the same way so many people are. With that in mind and a chagrin on my face, I took my ticket and my seat. "At least it has Kate Beckinsale," I thought.

Once the lights came up after the 94 minute runtime, I felt as if I'd been in my seat for hours. I was put off watching Kate Beckinsale, who is quite good in the role, slither around trying to seduce a young, rich Englishman after the death of her late husband. If the main character isn't likeable then she must at least be interesting in order for the audience to establish an investment. Unfortunately, Lady Susan Vernon (as her character is called) is neither. She is merely a crude princess longing to maintain her uppity lifestyle at the expense of everyone around her, including her own daughter (played wonderfully by Morfydd Clark). She is an absolutely wretched woman.

Sure, the first half is pleasant enough. Director Whit Stillman establishes a light atmosphere where Kate Beckinsale and the rest of the quirky cast can flourish. The jokes are sharp-witted and landed often enough to keep my muse. However, the second half of the film is mostly void of humor and charm. Once the story started taking itself seriously, there was nobody to root for and I became disinterested.

I am afraid I must denounce Love & Friendship. It is not worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment